Core Strength and Functional Training with an Exercise Ball Chair
Core strengthening is used in physical therapy clinics to help relieve back pain due to muscle weakness and muscle imbalance. It is also used to help people with back pain increase their ability to perform daily activities.
Most people have at least some degree of strength and flexibility imbalance between the muscle groups responsible for upright posture. When we exercise without first addressing these imbalances, we run the risk of developing this dysfunctional muscle use pattern even further.
Fitness fads come and go but, every now and then, a trend comes along that actually makes sense. One such trend is our new focus on core strength and functional training which involves strengthening the torso for better workouts and fewer injuries. One of the most favorite tools for core strength is the exercise ball chair. Physical therapists have used them for years, but fitness experts now know it's one of the best ways to strengthen the abs and back and increase stability. Here's what you need to know about choosing and using an exercise ball chair.
If you're overweight or obese, you might be wondering if you can use an exercise ball. The ergo chair provides you with a burst-resistant egg ball that holds up to 700 pounds and will accommodate people as tall as 6'3".
An exercise ball chairs like the Ergo Chair is not terribly expensive. It beats gym membership fees and gas fees any day. You won’t also have to spend money on bottled water, snacks and gym clothes too. Do the math and think about it. You have a lot to gain for and nothing much to lose if you switch to using an exercise ball chair today.
It will take you some time to get used to sitting without a backrest. Now most of you might think it’s uncomfortable. It might be uncomfortable but only during the first few days when you’re adjusting to it. The absence of a backrest will help you be more conscious and aware of your posture. Spine alignment will help not only your spine but all the muscles on your back and your diaphragm.
Here are some of the benefits of using an exercise ball chair as your chair. Whether you spend your desk time at the office, or studying at home for that next exam, exercise ball chairs can help you in many ways:
1. Forces proper spine alignment. Because an exercise ball is filled with air your body needs to try to balance itself on it. The perfect spinal posture is coincidently the easiest to balance with. Your body will automatically try to align itself into the proper posture. This helps improve your spinal health, and decrease back pains.
2. Causes you to frequently change positions. An exercise ball chair causes you to change your position often to find your balance. For example, if you turn 45 degrees to face the phone, your body will assume a new position. This helps reduce damage caused by prolonged sitting in the same position.
3. Fitness is at your fingertips. Another great thing about using this alternative to a regular chair is that you can do stretches or mini-workouts whenever you want, without having to get up. If you stop working for a minute or two, you can make productive use of that time with a quick workout or stretch. Because it’s much more convenient, you will probably do it more, thus resulting in better health.
4. Improve your balance. Sitting on a flexible surface all day will improve your sense of balance, as well as stretching your muscles. The result? An overall better balance that can be observed out of the office.
5. Get that 6-pack you’ve been wanting. Your body primarily uses your core (abdominal) muscles to help compensate for changes in balance. As a result you’re essentially getting a low-key abdominal workout. This may not sound like a lot, but consider the amount of time you spend on your computer at the office, or at home. Those hours can build up, and result in a strengthening of abs muscles.
6. Improves your circulation. Using an exercise ball chair will keep the blood flowing to all parts of your body, throughout the day. A desk chair on the other hand, reduces circulation to some parts of the body after prolonged use.
7. You’ll feel more energetic. It has been proven that staying in one position, will make you more tired, while moving around and being active will give you more energy. With an exercise ball chair, you will feel much more energized after you finish your work.
8. Burn up to 350 calories per day. More movement during the day = more calories burnt. Burning 350 calories per day = losing one pound of fat every 10 days. You may not burn quite 350, but nonetheless, it will help you stay fit.
9. Really cheap. Much cheaper than buying a “professional” ergonomic chair, which can range anywhere from $500 to $1400 and up.
10. Its fun! Who doesn’t like the idea of bouncing around on an exercise ball chair all day? Exercise ball chairs are an exciting alternative to regular chairs, and may just give that spark of fun to your day!
An award-winning product at the world’s most prestigious International Invention Conference. The ErgoChair won Best New Invention in the furniture category, out of 1,000 entries from 42 countries. The ErgoChair is patented in the U.S. and Europe.
We are THE ONLY Ergonomic Chair manufacturer in the US that provides a LIFETIME WARRANTY on all parts of the ErgoChair*.
We want you to be completely delighted with your new ErgoChair purchase. If the ErgoChair fails to meet your highest expectations, please return it for a full refund.